IT job interview is difficult. It does not mean, however, that you should give up easily on the opportunity or the pay package. In fact, you should develop negotiating skills to make the most of the opportunity in front of you. However, this skill should be used after giving your best shot at the interview. In order to help you make the best out of the interview, take a look at these do’s and don’ts.
The 5 Don’ts
- Don’t be too demanding and unrealistic about remuneration, title etc. This is just the beginning and a way to get into the industry.
- Don’t be rude but present your points and concerns well. The interviewer should get the feeling that you are confident and clear in your thoughts and this can also impact your pay package.
- Don’t disrespect but don’t be overwhelmed also by the interviewer. They are just your seniors who have also gone through this phase. So, don’t make yourself too gullible in front of them, because that would give signals that you would easily agree to what they say.
- Don’t just look at the salary offered but take into account the company, its work culture, role, scope for growth etc. Negotiate, keeping these things in mind.
- Don’t settle for something which is way below your expectations. Instead, use your negotiating skills. Don’t hesitate to walk away from a very bad deal. This is not the last interview that you will get, there sure will be more opportunities in future.
The 5 Do’s
- Your resume holds the water. So, highlight those parts which can help you in getting that job. Think of what a prospective employer would be interested in. Hence, build upon your resume because you would be able to negotiate on the basis of its content.
- Understand the requirements of the job well and also the industry.
- Keep updating and enriching yourself because you belong to an ever-dynamic and fluid IT industry. If you have knowledge about the modern-day skills, you can command monetary benefits against those skills.
- Get a good score in exams like AMCAT, eLitmus or CoCubes. These kinds of scores help you differentiate and stand apart from the rest of the crowd.
- Be confident and optimistic as these two skills can do wonders for you.