What Is A Jam Session?
Recruiters use a Jam (Just a minute) Session to screen the candidates in the very first round. It usually acts as an elimination round.
Why Is A Jam Session Important?
What Are You Required To Do In A Jam Session?
As the name suggests, you are supposed to speak on a given topic for a minute. This is to test your communication skills, to gauge your confidence and test your general awareness.
What Skills Do You Need To Have To Succeed In A Jam Session?
- Communication Skills
- Eye Contact
- Good Listening Skills
You require the ability to be quick and inventive. You must recollect and relate to information and effectively share that knowledge. It is an added advantage if you have good management skills and leadership qualities. And to top it all, your overall communication skills should be impeccable.
If we simply were to put this down in black and white, by practicing to speak in a Jam session you;
- Learn how to organize your thought flow
- Apply logic and sound convincing
- Improve your general speaking skills
Remember the most basic question at any interview where you are asked to talk about yourself? This question, in itself, is a Jam session topic.
Tips To Speak In a Jam Session
The mantra is ‘Structure‘. Follow a distinctive flow.
Think of subcategories for any given topic and then expand on that.
Category 2: You Can Talk About The Advantages/Ill-Effects
Category 3: Touch On Personal Contributions And How You Can Reduce/Enhance It
Now, elaborate on these sub-points. Recollect experiences that you are familiar with, acquired knowledge and try and connect the dots.
For example, let us consider the Jam topic “Vehicular Pollution”.
- Primary Source – emissions from tailpipes of cars and trucks
- Ill Effects – reduced lung capacity and chronic illnesses, weakens body’s defenses against respiratory infections posing a threat to young children and asthmatics leading even to cancer.
- Personal Contribution to Reducing Vehicular Pollution – carpooling, mass transit, biking and walking, avoiding high-speed driving, frequently stopping and starting can reduce both fuel use and pollutant emissions.
So basically what you’ve done is used acquired knowledge to form a logical structure and made sense of what you’re saying in under 1 minute.
Quick Decisions And Responses Need Quick Thinking
Practice in such a way that your brain processes information fast. You can learn to speak instantaneously and still sound meaningful and convincing only when you are able to connect and synthesize information based out of experiences and acquired knowledge.
It’s time for you to introspect your command over the English language, read a lot and find opportunities to express your learnings. And I’m positive when you learn to apply acquired knowledge and organize your thoughts, your responses would sound more logical and meaningful.