With the release of SSC CGL 2017 Notification on 16th May 2017, all aspirants preparing for this exam would double their efforts and practice. Please read the SSC CGL 2017 Syllabus and Exam Pattern, as it is very important to understand the scope of the syllabus before you start preparing.
What is SSC CGL Exam?
The Staff Selection Commission
(SSC) is going to conduct the Combined Graduate Level (CGL) exam in August tentatively, which means you have only a few months left to dedicate to preparing for SSC CGL 2017 and securing yourself a seat.
Here, we are focussing on SSC CGL Tier I Exam
How to Start Preparing for SSC CGL 2017?
Section-wise tips and tricks to crack the first stage of SSC CGL 2017:
1. General Intelligence and Reasoning: The simplest way to crack this section is to get as much practice as possible. This section is known to be time-consuming, which is why you must be a master in all the smart methods to solve questions from this section.
2. General Awareness: This section can be attempted with the least time spent and can help secure the maximum marks. Read newspapers every day and keep yourself abreast with the current affairs and major events across the country.
3. Numerical Aptitude: This section can give your total a big boost if you are good at math. But (I have said this before and would repeat this often) there is no substitute for practice. Prepare for this section keeping in mind your strengths and the weightage given to each topic.
4. English Comprehension: This is one of the most avoided sections, making it the section candidates are least prepared for. You must focus on Improving Sentences, Spotting Errors, Synonyms and Antonyms, and Fill in the Blanks.
Strategy to Prepare for SSC CGL 2017
1. Print out the SSC CGL Syllabus and Exam Pattern. Pin it up in a place where are most likely to see it often, preferably your study desk.
2. Skim through the syllabus to understand your strengths and weaknesses. Not everybody can be good at quantitative aptitude and general awareness. Identify and segregate the topics that you are fairly good at.
3. Define the total study time and divide it by the number of days you have got left. That would give you an idea of how many number of hours you would need to put in to prepare for SSC CGL exam daily.
4. Quick Tip: Focus on preparing for the Numerical Aptitude and English Comprehension sections as these topics would be covered in both SSC CGL Tier I & II.
5. Analyse the previous years’ question papers and cut-off marks to fairly estimate the total marks that you should be targeting.
6. Get into the habit of reading. Read the newspapers daily and keep yourself informed about the current affairs and major events across India and its neighbouring countries.
7. Attempt as many mock tests as possible. Make it your weekly activity to analyse and chalk your improvement through the weeks. Mock tests get you into the habit of solving the question paper within the allotted time.
8. Remember that the exam has negative marking. If you aren’t 100% sure of the answer, it is better to not attempt it. You would end up losing your hard-earned marks while playing the guessing game.
9. Time management: General Intelligence and Reasoning – 25 minutes
General Awareness – 10 minutes
Numerical Aptitude – 25 minutes
English Comprehension – 15 minutes
Make a time map of which section you are going to solve first then the second, third and fourth. Focus on the section you are more comfortable with and solve it first.
10. PRACTICE. I just cannot emphasise it enough. Not just would practice help you in grasping the topics and the shortcuts in each of them, but it will also help you solve the questions in a lesser amount of time.
I hope that these tips and tricks to prepare for SSC CGL 2017 come handy when you get started. In the case of any questions and queries, please feel free to leave your comments below and we would answer them in the best way possible.