Find out the highlights of the changed/new Exam Pattern and Syllabus of IBPS PO Prelims & Mains Exam 2017 in this post.
The Institute of Banking Personnel Selection (IBPS) has released the IBPS PO 2017 notification on 14th August 2017. Online application for IBPS PO VII has started from 16th August 2017 and the closing date to apply is 5th September 2017.
The preliminary exam of IBPS PO 2017 is scheduled on 7th, 8th, 14th, 15th October 2017 and IBPS PO Mains Exam 2017 is scheduled on 26th November 2017.
To ace IBPS PO 2017 Exam, it is necessary to know the detailed syllabus for IBPS PO Exam, and the new IBPS PO Exam pattern.
IBPS PO Selection Process
Unlike every year, this year IBPS has made some major changes in IBPS PO syllabus & exam pattern. IBPS is all set to follow the exam pattern and syllabus of SBI PO from this year onwards.
The Selection Process of IBPS PO Exam consists of 3 phases given below –
IBPS PO 2017 Cutoff Score
The IBPS PO 2017 Prelims Exam – Phase I is only qualifying in nature and will not be counted towards the final total. Only those who qualify in Phase I and Phase II will be eligible to attend Phase III, which is the Interview.
The scores of the last two phases will be normalised to 100. The weightage given to the IBPS PO Main Exam and the IBPS Interview will be 80:20 respectively. The combined final score of candidates shall be arrived at based on scores obtained by the candidates in the Main Examination and Interview.
Depending on the number of vacancies available, cutoffs will be decided and candidates will be shortlisted for the interview.
It is mandatory for a candidate to clear each level of examination to get selected to the post of Probationary Officer in multiple Public-Sector Banks.
Changes in IBPS PO Exam Pattern
IBPS PO Prelims Exam – Phase I
The IBPS PO Notification for 2017 has mentioned no major changes to the IBPS PO Prelims. IBPS PO Prelims Exam consists of three topics – English Language, Quantitative Aptitude, and Reasoning Ability. Check out the IBPS PO Syllabus for 2017 here:
IBPS PO Exam Syllabus – Prelims
Please note that it is necessary to clear the cutoff in all 3 sections to qualify for the IBPS PO Main exam. Check out the IBPS PO Exam Pattern for the Prelims here:
IBPS PO Mains Exam – Phase II
IBPS PO Mains 2017 will consist of 2 parts – Objective Test (200 marks) and Descriptive Test (25 marks). Both the tests will take place online. Check out the IBPS PO Exam Pattern for the Main Exam here:
Here are the major changes to the IBPS PO Exam Pattern this year:
- Computer awareness section has been removed and Computer Aptitude section has been added to the Reasoning Ability section.
- Quantitative Aptitude section is now called Data Interpretation & Analysis. Hence DI questions are expected to form a majority of this section.
- The total number of questions in the IBPS PO Mains exam has been reduced to 155 from 200 last year.
- The overall time of the Objective Paper for IBPS PO Main Exam has increased to 180 mins from 140 mins last year.
- With the number of questions reduced and the time duration of the IBPS Main Exam increased, the difficulty level of the Objective Paper is expected to go up.
- IBPS has introduced Descriptive Paper in its Mains Examination where candidates will be judged on their written skills.
- The descriptive paper, called as English Language will be of 30 minutes duration with 25 marks assigned to it.
- English Language Descriptive Paper will consist of 2 questions – Letter Writing & Essay.
- IBPS reserves the right to modify the structure of the examination which will be intimated through the IBPS Official Website.
Negative Marking in IBPS PO Exam (Applicable to both – Preliminary and Main examination)
There will be a penalty for wrong answers marked in the Objective Tests. For each question for which a wrong answer has been given by the candidate one-fourth or 0.25 of the marks assigned to that question will be deducted as penalty to arrive at corrected score. If a question is left blank, i.e. no answer is marked by the candidate, there will be no penalty for that question.
IBPS PO Interview – Phase III
Candidates who qualify the Mains Exam are finally called for the Interview by IBPS. The Interview Process will constitute of 100 marks and the minimum marks for qualifying this round will be 40% (35% for SC/ST/OBC/PWD candidates).
A candidate should qualify both in the IBPS PO Mains and Interview to be shortlisted for subsequent provisional allotment, details of which will be made available on the IBPS website.
A merit list will be generated after the Interview Process of IBPS PO 2017 Exam has been conducted. Candidates who make it to the list will be thus offered the joining letter by the Bank of their preference.