Here’s your daily summary of Current Affairs – September 27, 2018
Supreme Court declares Centre’s Aadhaar scheme Constitutionally valid
The Supreme Court (SC) on 26th September declared Centre’s flagship Aadhaar scheme as constitutionally valid but struck down some of its provisions.
1. To link Permanent Account Number (PAN) with Aadhaar
2. Filing Income Tax (IT) returns
3. For availing facilities of Welfare schemes and Govt. subsidies
1. To link Bank Account with Aadhaar
2. Telecom service providers cannot seek Aadhaar linking for mobile connections, said SC.
3. For school admissions
4. The examinations conducted by the CBSE, NEET for medical entrance and the University Grants Commission (UGC) cannot make Aadhaar mandatory
7th National Conference on Excellence in Workplace Safety and Occupational Health held in New Delhi
Minister of State for Labour and Employment, Santosh Kumar Gangwar recently inaugurated the 7th National Conference on Excellence in Workplace Safety and Occupational Health in New Delhi. He also said that steps are being taken to provide every possible facility to labors of both organized and non-organised sectors. Providing social security to them is also in the government’s agenda, he added.
Cabinet clears proposal to convert GSTN into the Govt.-owned company
The Union Cabinet has cleared a proposal to convert Goods and Services Tax Network (GSTN) into a government-owned company. Currently, the Centre and states together hold 49% stake in the GST Network, the company that provides IT backbone to the new indirect tax regime. The remaining 51% is held by 5 private financial institutions. There will be the acquisition of entire 51% equity held by the Non-Government Institutions in GSTN equally by the Centre and the State Governments and allow GSTN Board to initiate the process for acquisition of equity held by the private companies.
Finance Ministry launches “Jan Dhan Darshak” Mobile App
Finance Ministry has launched Mobile Application Jan Dhan Darshak as a part of Financial Inclusion. This App will provide guidance to the common people in locating a financial service touch point at a given location in the country. Department of Financial Services (DFS), Ministry of Finance and National Informatics Centre (NIC) have jointly developed the app Jan Dhan Darshak as a part of financial inclusion initiative.
Arun Jaitley launched a web portal www.psbloansin59minutes.com
The Union Minister of Finance and Corporate Affairs, Arun Jaitley launched a web portal www.psbloansin59minutes.com, a transformative initiative in MSME credit space, which will enable in principle approval for MSME loans up to Rs. 1 crore within 59 minutes from SIDBI and 5 Public Sector Banks (PSBs). It is a strategic initiative of SIBDI led PSB consortium incubated under the aegis of Department of Financial Services (DFS), Ministry of Finance. The majority stake of SIDBI & big 5 PSBs- SBI, Bank of Baroda, PNB, Vijaya and Indian Bank.
TRAI to be renamed as DCRAI: Telecom Minister
The name of Telecom Regulatory Authority of India will be changed to Digital Communications Regulatory Authority of India (DCRAI), telecom minister Manoj Sinha said on 26th September.
SBI sells 4% in SBI General to Axis AMC and Premji Invest
State Bank of India sold 4% stake in SBI General Insurance for Rs 482 crores to Axis New Opportunities Fund and Premji Invest, valuing the company around Rs 12,000 crore. After completion of the transaction, SBI will hold 70% stake in SBI GI while its joint venture partner, IAG International Pty Ltd., will continue to hold 26%.
PM Modi, Cochin Airport win UN’s ‘Champions of the Earth’ award
Prime Minister Narendra Modi has been awarded with the UN’s highest environmental honor, bestowed upon five other individuals and organizations, for his leadership of the International Solar Alliance and pledge to eliminate single-use plastic in India by 2022. 6 of the world’s most outstanding environmental change makers have been recognized with the Champions of the Earth Award. “Cochin International Airport” has also been honored this year with the award for ‘Entrepreneurial Vision,’ for its leadership in the use of sustainable energy.
India ranks 96th on Economic Freedom Index; Hong Kong retains top spot
India’s rank improved by a couple of notches, but it was still placed 96th among 162 countries in this year’s report on Economic Freedom in the World, released on Tuesday by the Centre for Civil Society (CCS) in conjunction with Canada’s Fraser Institute. Last year, India’s rank was 98. Hong Kong and Singapore again topped the index, continuing their streak as the first and the second country, respectively. New Zealand, Switzerland, Ireland, the US, Georgia, Mauritius, the United Kingdom, Australia and Canada (tied for 10th) were among the top 10.
World Tourism Day: 27 September
Over the past six decades, tourism has experienced continued expansion and diversification, and it has become one of the fastest growing and most important economic sectors in the world, benefiting destinations and communities worldwide. International tourist arrivals worldwide have grown from 25 million in 1950 to nearly 1.3 billion till date. Theme for 2018 is “Tourism and the Digital Transformation.”
World Tourism Day: 27 September
Over the past six decades, tourism has experienced continued expansion and diversification, and it has become one of the fastest growing and most important economic sectors in the world, benefiting destinations and communities worldwide. International tourist arrivals worldwide have grown from 25 million in 1950 to nearly 1.3 billion till date. The theme for 2018 is “Tourism and the Digital Transformation.”
International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons: 26 September
The International Day for the Total Elimination of Nuclear Weapons was observed across the world on 26 September 2018 with an aim to educate the public and their leaders about the real benefits of eliminating nuclear weapons and the social and economic costs of perpetuating them.
Cabinet Decisions regarding MoUs on 26th September
Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the following:
• MoU between India and Uzbekistan on Mutual Cooperation in Combating Illicit Trafficking in Narcotics, Drugs, Psychotropic Substances and Precursors.
• MoU between India and Uzbekistan on Cooperation in the Sphere of Law & Justice.
• MoU between India and Uzbekistan for strengthening cooperation in the field of Tourism.
• MoU between India and Uzbekistan on cooperation for the establishment of Uzbek-Indian Free Pharmaceutical Zone in the Andijan region of Uzbekistan.
• MoU between the Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI) and the Institute of Certified Public Accountants of Kenya (ICPAK).
• Agreement between India and Uzbekistan on cooperation in the field of Agriculture and Allied sectors.
• MoU between India and Uzbekistan on cooperation in the pharmaceutical sector.
• MoU between NITI Aayog, and Ministry of Economic Development of the Russian Federation (MEDRF) in the field of social, economic, industrial and regional development programs.
• MoU between India and South Korea for enhancing cooperation in Applied Science and Industrial Technology.
• MoU between India and Uzbekistan on cooperation in health and medical science.
Learn Two a Day:
ASBA: Applications Supported by Blocked Amount
AUM: Assets Under Management