Here’s your daily summary of Current Affairs – November 23, 2018
Union Cabinet decisions on 22nd November
The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Narendra Modi has approved the following:
- Extension of the term of the Commission to examine the issue of Sub-categorization of Other Backward Classes in the Central List till 31st May 2019.
- The Allied and Healthcare Professions Bill, 2018 for regulation and standardization of education and services by allied and healthcare professionals.
- Agreement between India and Uzbekistan on Cooperation in the field of Science, Technology, and Innovation.
- MoU between India and Tajikistan on Cooperation on Youth Matters.
- MoU between Atal Innovation Mission, India, and Fund “Talent and Success”, Russia for the promotion of science & technology.
- MoU with Mauritius on Consumer Protection and Legal Metrology.
- setting up of Medical College at Silvassa in the UT of Dadra and Nagar Haveli.
- Commemoration of the 550th Birth Anniversary of Shri Guru Nanak Devji.
- Extension of Norms for Mandatory Packaging in Jute Materials.
- Implementation of the umbrella scheme “Atmosphere & Climate Research-Modelling Observing Systems & Services (ACROSS)” during 2017-2020 at an estimated cost of Rs. 1450 crore.
Andhra Pradesh tops in employability level among states: India Skills Report 2019
Andhra Pradesh has topped the list of states with the highest employability followed by Rajasthan and Haryana, as per the India Skills Report 2019. The employability levels of B.Tech/B.E have increased across all the sectors, touching a new high of 63.11 percent, which remained at 42.08 last year. However, the employability levels of MBA and polytechnic stand low between 47.18 percent and 45.90 percent.
Paytm partners with LIC for insurance premium payments
Digital payments service Paytm has entered into a partnership with Life Insurance Corp (LIC) to help customers make insurance premium payments, One97 Communications Ltd, which owns the Paytm brand, said on 21 November. The platform now provides online insurance premium payment solutions for over 30 insurance companies including LIC, ICICI Prudential Life, Reliance Life, Max Life Insurance, HDFC Life, TATA AIA, SBI Life, Aditya Birla Sun Life, Canara HSBC Life Insurance, Shri Ram Life and Star Health among others, the company said.
UNICEF appoints singer Nahid Afrin as first ‘Youth Advocate’ of the northeastern region
Popular singer Nahid Afrin of Assam has been appointed as the first ‘Youth Advocate’ of the northeastern region by the UNICEF to fight for child rights. The UNICEF engages ‘Youth Advocates’ to harness their voice as agents of change in society. UNICEF’s India representative Yasmin Ali Haque said 17-year-old Nahid was appointed as ‘Youth Advocate’ in the North East at an event in Guwahati yesterday. Nahid made her playback debut in the 2016 Bollywood film ‘Akira’ starring Sonakshi Sinha in the lead. She received the best female playback singer award at the Assam state Film Award 2018.
Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB) India gets UN Environment award for combating transboundary environmental crime
United Nation Environment has awarded Wildlife Crime Control Bureau (WCCB), Ministry of Environment, Forest and Climate Change, Government of India with Asia Environment Enforcement Awards, 2018 for excellent work done by the Bureau in combating transboundary environmental crime.
Amitabh Bachchan honoured with Sayaji Ratna Award for contribution to social causes
Bollywood superstar Amitabh Bachchan was Tuesday awarded the third Sayaji Ratna Award, established in the memory of erstwhile Baroda ruler Sayajirao Gaekwad III. The Baroda Management Association had, in 2013, instituted the award to mark the 150th birth anniversary of the ruler, known for undertaking major social reform measures during his rule in the early twentieth century. Infosys co-founder N R Narayana Murthy and noted industrialist Ratan Tata have been given the award earlier.
Joyce Msuya appointed as acting Executive Director of UNEP
Tanzania’s Joyce Msuya has been appointed to head the United Nations Environment Programme (UNEP), in an acting capacity, following the resignation of its executive director, Erik Solheim. Msuya was appointed to the global organization as the deputy executive director, at the level of assistant secretary-general of the United Nations, in August this year. She previously worked with the World Bank and is consistently advocating for conservation of the planet.
Nepal’s largest exhibition ‘ConMac 2018’ starts in Bhaktapur
Nepal’s largest exhibition on construction equipment and technology “ConMac 2018” started in Bhaktapur near Kathmandu. Inaugurating the exhibition Nepal’s Minister for Physical Infrastructure and Transport Raghubir Mahaseth said development is the main agenda of the present government and it is committed to infrastructure development in Nepal.
Learn Two a Day:
Mouling National Park: Arunachal Pradesh
Valley of Flowers National Park: Uttarakhand