Here’s your daily summary of Current Affairs – January 03, 2018
Important Union Cabinet Decisions on 2nd January
The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the following:
- First-ever three-way merger in Indian Banking with an amalgamation of Vijaya, Dena, and Bank of Baroda
- Restructuring of National Health Agency as “National Health Authority” for better implementation of Pradhan Mantri – Jan Arogya Yojana
- MoU between India and Morocco on Cooperation in the area of Cyber Security
- Progress under NHM and Decisions of Empowered Programme Committee and Mission Steering Group of NHM
- High-level committee to implement Clause 6 of Assam Accord Several Longstanding demands of Bodos also approved
- Amendment to the Trade Unions Act, 1926 to make provisions regarding Recognition of Trade Unions
- Ex post facto approval to India’s Approach for COP 24, Katowice, Poland (2-15 December 2018)
- Continuation of Rashtriya Yuva Sashaktikaran Karyakram Scheme for the Period 2017-18 to 2019-2020
- Continuation of Umbrella scheme for “Family Welfare and Other Health Interventions” during 2017-18 to 2019-20
- The inclusion of merchant exporters under Interest Equalisation Scheme (1ES) for Pre and Post Shipment Rupee Export Credit
Vice President presents LPG connections to Ujjwala beneficiaries to mark 6 crore connections
Handing over LPG connection to a woman beneficiary, that marked a milestone of six crore such connections under the Pradhan Mantri Ujjwala Yojana, the Vice President, Shri M Venkaiah Naidu hailed it as a revolutionary scheme that transformed the lives of women from poor families. “In short, this is a spectacular achievement by any government in such a short time”, he observed.
Krishak Bandhu: Mamata Banerjee announces sops for farmers
Dubbed as ‘Krishak Bandhu’, the scheme bears similarity to the Telangana government’s flagship ‘Rythu Bandhu’ in terms of providing financial assistance to farmers and landless laborers. Against the Telangana government’s promised Rs. 8,000 an acre, the West Bengal government will give annual financial assistance (cash dole) of Rs. 5,000 per acre in two installments – one during kharif and another during rabi – for a single crop. Farmers can take the financial assistance at one go too. The West Bengal government’s scheme has gone a step further and announced a life insurance cover of Rs. 2,00,000 in case of death, irrespective of the cause, of an earning family member (farmer) aged between 18 and 60 years. Farmers need not pay any premium for availing this life insurance cover.
Purchase of new vehicles, ACs banned for government departments: Madhya Pradesh CM Kamal Nath
On December 31, 2018, Chief Minister of the Congress-led government of Madhya Pradesh, Kamal Nath, banned the purchase new vehicles and air conditioners (ACs) by the government departments due to huge debt of the state.
RBI sets up a panel under ex-SEBI chief U K Sinha to suggest measures for MSMEs
The Reserve Bank on 2nd January set up an expert committee under former Sebi chairman U K Sinha to suggest long-term solutions for the economic and financial sustainability of the MSME sector. The RBI has announced the panel a day after it allowed a one-time restructuring of existing debt up to Rs 25 crore for the micro, small and medium enterprises (MSMEs) which have defaulted on payment but the loans given to them have continued to be classified as standard assets.
Saurabh Kumar takes over as chairman of Ordnance Factory Board
Saurabh Kumar took over as the Director General of Ordnance Factories (DGOF) and chairman of the Ordnance Factory Board (OFB) in Kolkata, a statement said. Kumar, a 1982-batch Indian Ordnance Factory Service officer, is an M-Tech in mechanical engineering from the Indian Institute of Technology (IIT), Kanpur, the statement said.
RBL Bank appoints Pankaj Sharma as Chief Operations Officer
RBL Bank, one of India’s fastest growing private sector banks, has announced the appointment of Pankaj Sharma as Chief Operations Officer. Pankaj will oversee RBL Bank’s operations and corporate services function.
MoU for setting up Centre of Excellence in Oil, Gas, and Energy signed between IIT Bombay and PSU Oil Companies
A Memorandum of Understanding(MoU) for setting up Centre of Excellence in Oil, Gas, and Energy was signed between Director, IIT Bombay and CMDs of PSU Oil Companies and EIL. Union Minister of Petroleum & Natural Gas and Skill Development & Entrepreneurship Shri Dharmendra Pradhan and Secretary, Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas Dr. M.M.Kutty graced the occasion.
Sachin Tendulkar’s coach Ramakant Achrekar dies in Mumbai
Well-known cricket coach Ramakant Achrekar, the man behind Sachin Tendulkar, has died aged 87. He breathed his last at his Mumbai residence at 6.30 PM. Achrekar was born in 1932 and played a key role in shaping up Tendulkar’s career over the years. Achrekar coached many young players at Mumbai’s Shivaji Park in Dadar. His most famous pupil, Tendulkar, went on to become the greatest batsman in the history of the game.