Here’s your daily summary of Current Affairs – March 28, 2019
India becomes the 4th country to conduct A-SAT missile test, codenamed Mission Shakti
India conducted its first anti-satellite (ASAT) missile test on 27th March, successfully destroying a low earth orbit satellite in space by using a missile which covered a distance of 300 km to engage the target. New Delhi, however, emphasized that the test did not alter its commitment against the weaponization of outer space. There are many countries which have A-SAT capability but it has been demonstrated by only 4 countries: United States, Russia, China, and India.
Important Union Cabinet decisions on 28th March
The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi has given its approval for the following:
- Five year’s extension of the Biomedical Research Career Programme
- MoU between India and Croatia in the field of tourism
- MoU for cooperation on youth matters between India and Morocco
- MoU on Antarctic cooperation between India and Argentine
- MoU between India and Morocco to promote the exchange of information and technical cooperation in the field of Housing and Human Settlement
- MoU between India and Saudi Arabia for cooperation in the field of Housing
- MoU between India and the Republic of Korea on Startup Cooperation
- MoU between India and Indonesia on combating illicit trafficking in narcotic drugs, psychotropic substances and its precursors
- Creation of additional posts of three Judicial Members and three Technical Members in the National Company Law Appellate Tribunal (NCLT)
From 1 April, shares can be transferred in demat form only: SEBI
SEBI on 27th March said the transfer of shares of listed companies can be done only in the dematerialized form from 1 April but investors are not barred from holding shares in the physical form. In December 2018, the watchdog extended the deadline for the transfer of shares of listed companies only in dematerialized (demat) form to 1 April.
Chairman: Ajay Tyagi
Chairman: Ajay Tyagi
Bank of Baroda inked MoU with 6 firms to develop “Baroda Kisan”
Bank of Baroda has signed a memorandum of understanding (MoU) with six firms namely Skymet Weather Services, Weather Risk Management Services, BigHaat, Agrostar India, EM3 Agri Services and Poorti Agri Services to develop “Baroda Kisan”. It will provide solutions for all major agricultural requirements through its holistic approach.
All 8 Newly-Appointed Lokpal Members Take Oath Of Office
All eight newly-appointed members of anti-corruption ombudsman Lokpal on 27th March took the oath of office. They were administered the oath by Lokpal chairperson Justice Pinaki Chandra Ghose, officials said. President Ram Nath Kovind had on 23rd March administered the oath of office to Justice Ghose as the country’s first Lokpal.
- Former Chief Justices of different high courts — Justices Dilip B Bhosale, Pradip Kumar Mohanty, Abhilasha Kumari, and Ajay Kumar Tripathi — took oath as judicial members in the Lokpal.
- Former first woman chief of Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB) Archana Ramasundaram, ex-Maharashtra chief secretary Dinesh Kumar Jain, former IRS officer Mahender Singh and Gujarat cadre ex-IAS officer Indrajeet Prasad Gautam were sworn-in as the Lokpal’s non-judicial members.
Australia’s Graham Reid to be appointed as India men’s hockey coach
Australian Graham Reid is set to be named as the Indian men’s hockey team chief coach till the 2022 World Cup after the national federation and the Sports Authority of India (SAI) gave its go-ahead to fill the position lying vacant for nearly three months.
Manu Bhaker-Saurabh Chaudhary bag Gold medal in 10m Air Pistol Mixed event at Asian Airgun C’ship
In Shooting, Manu Bhaker and Saurabh Chaudhary have bagged a Gold medal in the 10-meter Air Pistol Mixed team event at the 12th Asian Airgun Championship at Taoyuan in Taipei. The teenage Indian duo went on to win the five-team final with a score of 484.8 points.
India, S Korea enter final of Sultan Azlan Shah Cup
India and South Korea have entered the final of Sultan Azlan Shah Cup tournament at Ipoh in Malaysia. South Korea defeated Malaysia 2-1 to reach the final which will be played on 30th March. Earlier, India defeated Canada by seven goals to three in their fourth round-robin match of the tournament on 27th March evening.